Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So mad that this wasn't my idea

So, I'm talking to my mom about her job at American Express and a company that would like AmEx to help them track the carbon emissions related to their business travel. At this point it hits me - why not have a credit card that, instead of air miles, cancels the carbon footprint of your spending??? It's a genius idea that will make somebody a LOT of money and do great things for the environment.

Of course, just like my weatherproof bike stereo, most great ideas are already in the works by someone just a little bit quicker than yourself. Indeed, that very day a press article came out about Bright Plant. This card, the brain child of two recent college grads, will take 1% of your purchases and use it to fund carbon offsets. Initially, they are going to fund new wind power projects. The card comes out in May and will, for now on, handle the bulk of my spending. If only I'd thought of this two years ago! For more information, visit http://brightpla.net/.

No comments: