Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Calling all poets

So, I’ve been writing a lot of music for the new band. We have four or five songs done and a few more in the works. The problem is that we don’t have lyrics for any of these tracks. Back in the Lavajet days I did a lot of lyric writing. Now, it seems, I am having a bout of writer’s block. I almost feel like I have lot my ability to write poetry. I used to write all the time in high school and college. Sure, it wasn’t great stuff, but it doesn’t need to be. 99% of poetry is crap, but that’s okay. It was MY crap – my random thoughts or abstract concepts laid out in a hopefully interesting way. Now I can’t even write bad poetry! Is it the endless meetings I attend? The tracking of statements of work and task numbers? Does owning a home and thinking about “settling down” rob us of that part of our creative self? God, I hope not. I will keep hacking away and hopefully get past this rough patch of non-inspiration.

In the meantime, if you’ve got any of your own words/poetry/lyrics you’d be willing to share with me, that would help give me something to write to.

No comments: