Monday, November 13, 2006

Amazing Weekend

Well, I can't say I didn't make the most of my three day weekend. On Friday Kate and I took a picnic to Great Falls and went hiking. We on the Billy Goat Trail, just walking and talking when I notice this old couple sitting on the rocks over by the cliff that drops down to the Potomac. I thought it was sweet until I realized that they were both completely topless! There they were, 70ish and stripped to the waist. We moved on rather quickly.

Friday night, I had a few friends over for a dinner party thing. I wanted Kate to meet more of my friends. It was a lot of fun. What was most interesting was hearing how she remembered certain people. Tom was the 'hipster'. George was the 'funny one'. George is definitely hilarious. Luckily he was keeping his comments to an R rating that evening.
Saturday I went to Chicago to meet up with Dad & Jo to visit my grandfather for his 89th birthday. Now, my grandfather is prone to self aggrandizing and telling the same stories over and over again - he is not unique in this as this is what grandpas tend to do as I understand it. He is an extremely interesting fellow though. I feel like he has seen so many different things in his life - more than most 89 year olds. Beyond just his vast laundry list of careers (military officer, traveling salesman, art gallery dealer, jewelry merchant, etc) he has spent time with such a cavalcade of people over the years. It amazes me that a guy with such set beliefs about the world and how it should be run has still managed to approach people and places without bias or prejudgement and enjoy each new experience for what it is. This, I think, is one of many of the lessons I've learned from him - Know thyself, but don't let that get in the way of knowing everything else.







[I have more pics from this weekend forthcoming.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your grandfather sounds like a great guy. i like the photos of the sculpture below this blog. did you take them? the first one looks really cool...and dirty for some reason...

Brian L said...

Hey T, Yeah, I took those pictures. The first one is really neat - it's a huge monolith of glass blocks. Behind the blocks are LED lights that create a video image on the side - a clost of up people's faces. It's really weird when they smile or wink or something.